Friday, April 29, 2011

10 Years Ago...

...four girls left their parents' homes in Idaho and Wyoming and moved into the dorms on the campus of Idaho State University. Through different classes and friends of friends, they became closer friends and, at a few points in time, roommates. We've all since graduated and gone our separate ways. You know those people that you can go for years without seeing and still pick up right where you left off? These are a few of those people in my life. We haven't had a dull moment yet!

I wasn't sure we'd have internet but we are stealing some Wi-Fi, so I'll update you on the last few days' events. That way, it's not a novel when I get home:)

First and foremost, it has been SO relaxing and refreshing. Mapquest said the drive would be around 9 hours 44 minutes (to be exact), but we took around 12 hours because we ate at a cute little diner called Linda's in Biggs, OR, and stopped at Multnomah Falls to take in the beauty. It was super rainy, so we didn't spend as much time there as we'd hoped. We're hoping Sunday is nicer so we can take more pictures and do the mile long hike...we were soaked after the .2 mile hike (can you say "wet jeans" for the next 4 hours of our trip??). We also stopped at Trader Joe's in Corvalis, per my request. Mostly I love their reusable bags and yummy treats (i.e. chocolate covered toffee, etc.). If it's natural, it's healthy, right? Just kidding.

When we pulled up to our little beach cottage, we were speechless. I think I broke the silence first with my excited babble. My gals have been so good about my babble...I just CAN'T get over the beauty. Our cottage is right on the beach and we can hear the waves crashing all night. It started raining after we were unpacked and we stayed in for the night, eating good dinner, dessert, and erupting into lots of laughter.

Today we were out of here by 10 and headed South. We stopped at a lighthouse and it just so happened that've Velva was ready to give a tour. It was beautiful, and she clearly loves her job...adding her own personality to the tour protocol. We ran down the Pacific Coast Highway from one scenic pullout to the next because we thought it'd provide better photo ops. Look at us, all daring and reckless at our ripe ol' age of 28:)

Next stop, Sea Lion Caves. World's largest, at that. It was pretty cool. It was hard to get good pictures because they do keep you a little bit of a distance away, and though I love my point and shoot, I would've enjoyed a longer lens. We were close enough to see with our bare eyes, however, the different personalities and different body types, etc. I took a video of them to see if I could get anything worth keeping. It mostly turned out blurry and slightly awkward...they bellar like cows and squeal every once and a while.

We stopped in Florence and ate lunch at the Hot Rod Cafe. Now this was an experience. Despite Fawn's hesitance, she let us sit in an acual hot rod convertible while we ate (there were only 2 in the whole diner...this was a privilege). We had to open the doors to get into the booth and everything. It was very funny and everyone who walked by to go to the bathroom just stared and grinned at us.

After picking up a few groceries, we headed back to our cottage for some R & R. I took a nap--I was tired, and perhaps a little grumpy? I felt like a new woman when I woke up and we had a crafty time, where Jeannie taught us how to make hair clip flowers and use all her fixin's. I think I am now addicted. I love being crafty!! Tomorrow we plan on heading North, up toward Newport, after spending the morning walking the beach and maybe doing a few more crafts. I will probably write more tomorrow. Hopefully the day will move slowly...we all knew it'd be a quick trip, but wanted to make it happen.

Thank you, God, for this time of refreshing and enjoying your beauty!! And, thank you for a beautiful, sunny day in Oregon!! You are awesome.

2 comments:

Bobbinoggin said...

sounds like you're getting a REAL retreat!

I have never known anyone else with my Gramma's name, Velva!

Steph said...

Fun! I've always found lighthouses cool but never toured one so I think that's awesome!