Monday, March 14, 2011

IUI #5

I can't believe that it was already time again to do the IUI again...seems like I just had that experience. Does time fly for anyone else? Feels like Valentine's Day was just yesterday.

Out of the 5 times I've had the procedure, today was, by far, the worst--during and after. Cranky nurse was the one who started me out (weight, blood pressure, "do you want me to explain the process again?"--she's never done it in the first place). She did compliment my necklace, but that was the end of the friendliness. During the time the doctor was performing the procedure I wanted to scream and kick, but I tried to remain a lady (as much as one can while...well, you know). I just let out a few grunts and he knew he wasn't making me happy by the grimacing on my face. After he was done, he did the usual "I hope this works," while crossing his fingers, and leaving the room. Yeah, you better hope. :)

After the third and fourth wheel of our baby-making process left, I was literally beside myself in pain. I was so sweaty and hot that I soaked through that *thick* paper they roll out over the bed. Luckily, I had worn a tank top under a cardigan, so i could strip down even more than I was already. I've never felt butcher knives sinking into my gut and twisting, but I'm pretty sure this is how it would feel. Then came the nausea---yes! Luckily, Conrad had asked the nurse for a little cup since I accidentally left the water bottle in the car. Let's just say that little cup was put to work until the nurse (friendly one) could come in with a big red bag that read "infectious waste" down the sides of it. Nothing like being half dressed and puking in front of a stranger. At least it was the nice one, and she got me a cool wash cloth, which helped a lot.

After our 20 minutes of waiting post-IUI, she came in (probably to nicely boot us out of the room...we'd already tied it up for 50 minutes or so) and I told her I couldn't stand up. She helped me up and I made it long enough to get fully clothed, then had to sit again. I walked at a turtle's pace out of that room to schedule tomorrow's IUI. The receptionist said, "you're white as a sheet!". Yes, yes, I know I look amazing with my eyeliner running down my face and all my makeup washed off by the cool cloth (though at this point, I could care less about that!). I was going to go back to work, but once I got there, there was no way I could've stayed. I couldn't even stand up straight, nor did it feel any better to sit down. My co-workers are sooooo sweet to work around my infertility appointment schedule:)

Two high points from the experience: 1)Conrad took me to get a peanut butter cup shake from Arctic Circle (that helped A TON!), and 2)labor can't be anything near the pain I've experienced with all of the poking and prodding I've had done over the past year...bring it ON!

Oh yeah, I guess there's another high point...I could watch the 2-hour special (and hour long post-final rose ceremony show) of The Bachelor without feeling guilty about laying in one spot for 3 hours. Now that's what I call productivity.

3 comments:

emily said...

I'm so sorry this has been such a painful process all around for you. At least you got a shake out of the deal. I'm sure it DID help! Praying and praying.

Baby Hopes said...

I'm so sorry. I truly think the IUI is so much a shot in the dark in terms of how women respond. I'm so very sorry that it was a rough response for you. We had a hard time as well, though not nearly the challenge you had. I do truly hope that this works out for you!!!

Courtney said...

Big hugs...can't imagine how much that must have hurt. Praying this is the cycle!!!!