Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Today's Romantic Words...

"Thank you for marrying me to be your wife, not your slave."

This came after Conrad told me his dad had his panties in a wad because they're short on truck drivers to haul in the sugar beets. He said to Conrad, "Can't your wife drive? SIL said she said she was ready." No, actually what I told SIL is that I could do it (I am capable), not that I would do it. The way it goes in this family is that once you do a job, it's yours forever and ever without compensation. If Conrad really needed me (on our field, which they're not harvesting yet), I would drive truck. If he really needed me to work ground, I'd take lessons from him in the tractor...I'm okay with helping with OUR stuff. I'm not trying to sound selfish, just trying to keep the boundaries. Conrad's mom looks so tired and ragged after 2 weeks of hard work in harvest (she's working harder than his dad doing a spare job his dad put a bid on!). Conrad hates that his mom works so hard. This whole town knows how it is to work for the in-laws...a friend told me she was talking to someone who was thinking about taking a harvest truck driving job, until he found out who it was for (my FIL). That says something, doesn't it?

I am so grateful for Conrad's hard work, and for God's graciousness to provide what we need to take steps to be more independent from Conrad's family. I know that beyond all the family drama, there is a great future for Conrad and me as we stay in His will. Have I mentioned lately that I'm married to a hot, hard-working, loving farmer? I am:)

1 comment:

emily said...

Good job, Adriane. I think you two are setting healthy boundaries, and I'm glad you are sticking to them!