Friday, October 22, 2010

Social Graces

Warning: This may sound very mean. Yesterday, I saw a guy from my college days and his family at the grocery store. He went to Chi Alpha, the christian group I was involved in throughout college. He is a bit of an odd duck, but I am always friendly to him. I've seen him and the fam at Wal*Mart a few times over the past few years as he's been growing his family. I've "met" his wife 3 or 4 times now, I can't remember. She is always grumpy-looking and none-too-friendly when I try to be personable. When I saw them at a different grocery store yesterday, I was like oh here comes some awkwardness, followed by him talking about his kids and introducing me to his wife again. Conversations usually include him talking about not working, being on welfare and not having to pay for anything, awkward questions like "when are you having kids?!", etc.

***I really am not trying to be rude, but some people just do not have social graces.***

So after a quick hello--I was in a hurry and kind of trying to avoid a long awkward conversation--and him introducing me to his wife, yet again, I moved around the produce area and got what I needed. When I went to the meat department, there he was with his cart, kids, and awkard conversation.

First, it was, "So, are you still married?" I responded, "Yep, it's been 7 years now."

Then, it was, "I've been married 3 years. My daughter is almost 3." Cool.

Then, "This is ____, Jr., this is my daughter ______. We're trying for number three."

Okay, this is when I grab my pork roast, say good-bye, and go on my not-so-merry way. Why is it that two people who don't work, collect government money for healthcare, living, and food can have all the kids they want? It's like it's a game for them. Sure, I bet having kids is fun but let's not go overboard here, just cuz the government will pay for it all. Can't there be a limit on how many pregnancies will be covered by Medicaid?? Here we (Conrad and I) are, working hard to pay taxes for irresponsible people to have kids. He's uninsured because self-employed insurance is outrageous, I pay $150+/mo.(and rising) for limited health insurance with a $5,000 maternity deductible, and no infertility coverage. I'm not against helping people out, but I am against people taking advantage of the system and fertile myrtles having so many kids that they can't even care for them.

This was a bit of a soap-box, but it's something that really upsets me along this road of infertility. I have to keep reminding myself, "GOD IS MY PROVIDER. GOD IS MY PROVIDER. GOD IS MY PROVIDER". Although Conrad doesn't like people that take advantage either, he does seem to have more grace than me. When I tell him stories like this one above, he responds with, "I wouldn't want that life. I want to contribute, I want to make my way." Ultimately, I know I don't want that life depending on the government, but sometimes I have to run through the venting cycle before I can remember that. You have now come full-circle through one of Adriane's *many* venting cycles.

1 comment:

Steph said...

I think I also know who you are talking about and they don't often look happy. Your life may not currently be what was planned for this stage but you are still able to have moments of smiling. I know its not great info but sometimes knowing you have "more" in that sense can help.