Tuesday, October 05, 2010

"'Til Death do us Part"

If you've been to a wedding anytime lately, or ever, you've heard these words exchanged between the bride and groom. If you're married, I'm 99.9% sure that you spoke these words in your ceremony as you looked into the eyes of your beloved.

Unfortunately, these words have come to a point where they are spoken lightly and easily shoved aside when hard times come in a relationship. I've seen this several times over the last year, and it's heart-breaking.

However, I have a few heart-warming situations I've observed over the past few days that renew my faith in long-lasting love and commitment in marriages. Some of Conrad's relatives were passing through from Canada and we spent last night with them at a long dinner and then they came over to our house this morning for a while.

One of the couples, Les and Helen, will celebrate 57 years of marriage in a week. They are one of the most precious couples I know. From the first time I've met them, Helen has gone from legally blind to completely blind. I cannot imagine dealing with blindness in my own life, for many reasons, but what I notice about this couple is their interdependence. Marriage is supposed to be all about interdependence anyway, but they are a great tangible example. Les guides Helen around, "3 steps up", "there's a nice living room to your right", "your tartar sauce is right here" (as he guides her hand to feel where it is). Helen is sharp as a tack and has a super great memory. She still does laundry, but supervises Les as he cooks or bakes because, in his words, "I can't remember from time to time how to cook/bake."

The second couple, Henry and Mildred, are equally cute. They have their own personalities and obstacles, but the same level of commitment. Mildred must've invited us 4 times to go to Canada in June for their 50th anniversary celebration. She was so interested in Conrad's farming practices and in our life. Henry was excited to report that the family farm in Canada (Conrad's grandpa was raised in Canada on a farm) was thriving. He really wants to give some of the model tractors/implements he's put together over the past few decades to Conrad. He's had 3 strokes recently and limps around with a cane. He and Mildred told us about his scooter he rides to the park to feed the ducks. Sometimes he goes alone, other times Mildred walks with him. Mildred is patient with him and they are another great example of commitment through thick and thin.

I know that I am committed to my promise "'til death do us part", and value the people in my life that support my commitment. God, help Conrad and I stay committed to You and to each other. Help us to be a good example to others, and to have a rockin' 50th anniversary party!!! You're all invited...it will be in July of 2053:)

2 comments:

emily said...

Liked this entry a lot. So glad to have friends who are as committed as we are to Jesus and keeping covenant with Him and with our spouses. It seems like no one is even trying anymore, so it was refreshing to hear your stories:)

Steph said...

I love seeing couples that have been together for so long! and.... Adriane and Em, you are great examples! I hope you know how I admire you.