Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Wasted trip to Poky...

Today was my follow-up appointment after my HSG. It was a waste of my time! I'm not too impressed with the current doc, but he's one of two that can do IUI in this area, plus now I sort of have a history with him (if you can call it that). He basically told me what could've been said over the phone...last week! I've been waiting in anticipation of some *new* news or something crazy wrong for over a week, and then he spends 5 minutes with me and same ol', same ol'. Here's the run-down, and feel free to act like it's new information, because it's pretty much a repeat:

Long story short, our situation presents male factor as well as female factor infertility...I am at liberty to freely talk about my own issues. I have a tubal occlusion in my left fallopian tube (knew this already). Therefore, even if I am ovulating, if it's my left ovary that's trying to push out an egg, the poor little egg isn't going to make it anywhere. He recommended IUI with Clomid for 4-6 cycles, and if no BFP ("big fat positive"), we will look to IVF. Again, there's no way we can pick which ovary does ovulate, so even with the Clomid, I will need to pray that my right ovary will step up to the plate. Oh yeah, and he did try and tell me that IUI was a couple hundred a month. I told him what I found out and he looked shocked and said I should re-check at the front when I checked out. I was right. $254 per time, 2x per cycle, plus $80 blood test, plus $9 for generic Clomid. Okay, Dr.C., in my book, that looks like almost $600/month. Pocket change, right?

I was very frustrated when I left, not only because it was a waste of my time, but because of our situation. How come 15-year-olds get pregnant their first time having sex, and don't even want a baby, and it takes a mature, Christian couple years and lots of money?? I guess it all comes back to trusting our faithful God, and knowing that ultimately He DOES have a good plan for our lives. I'm trying to pound this in my head because it's easy for my mind to wander. Our pastor gave an excellent sermon on Sunday entitled "Divine Deliberate Delay" and it was just what I needed as a reminder. I will go into this more later, it was quite convicting.

1 comment:

Bobbinoggin said...

aww, honey. I'm so sorry. That is so frustrating that the doctor didn't consider giving you a phone consult. Not to mention the financial part of it. Well, everything really. Very frustrating. Makes you want to shout out British expletives like bloody and bollocks.

Thank you for keeping us up to date. Continuing to pray for you. And send you many hugs many miles away.