Tuesday, April 06, 2010

I Love My Job...

Today I had my annual review for my job...I can't believe it's been a year!! I remember the day my now-boss called to offer me the job only hours after my interview. When I started a few days later, it was definitely bittersweet. I had, after all, quit my social work job a few months earlier with hopes of being a stay at home wife, then a pregnant stay at home wife, and then a stay at home mommy. Because of financial strain following the sudden drop in the wheat market, causing us to make tens of thousands of dollars less than budgeted for that year, I got a part-time job to keep us from having to borrow money to live on (thanks, Dave Ramsey, for saving us from future debt...). It was NOT what I wanted to do. However, it has turned out to be a HUGE blessing in disguise. I have awesome co-workers (which I like to think of more as friends), I feel more connected to my small community, and, of course, less financial strain is always a great feeling. I had lunch at my favorite place and had an awesome waitress (shoutout to Sarah!). I prayed before I went that God would guide our conversation. I never have awkward moments with my manager, D, but it was the VP I was worried about:) It turned out being a very enjoyable lunch. My manager loves me--what's not to love?? We had plenty to talk about without any awkwardness in the hour and a half we were there. Overall, it was very positive and it was nice to get to know the VP better.

Speaking of jobs, I talked to one of my old co-workers today. I was thinking earlier how I miss the people I worked with in my old job, but I don't miss the actual job. I was sad to hear that someone I care about died on Easter night. It's crazy how emotionally connected you get to people, especially in that line of work when people are vulnerable with you. I am glad that I know about the death (I always check the obituaries for people I know so I don't find out months later) and I'm also glad that I am removed from having to grieve while comforting the other clients. I had to do this when Grandpa Manske died and it was NOT fun. It was great to talk with G, and nice to hear that she misses me (I miss her too!!) and another former co-worker told her just last week, "I miss Adriane." Isn't that sweet? I am thankful that I left in good standing from my other job. God, thank you for the doors you've opened and thank you for knowing what's best for me. I pray you'd bring comfort and strength where needed. YOU are peace.

No comments: