Monday, April 12, 2010

Hysterosalpingogram...

Say this 10 times fast!!! This was what I did today...don't be jealous. First of all, it was not comfortable. And not just the part where your legs are spread up in the air...but where the radiologist blows up a little ballon inside your uterus through the catheter he's stuck up through your cervix and pumps you full of contrast (dye). Thankfully I had done some reading online about the procedure, so I was highly dosed on ibuprofen beforehand. When the radiologist was injecting the dye---yowsers! It felt like the worst cramps imagineable. Unluckily, I get bad cramps every month so it wasn't anything too new, except for the fact I was laying flat on a table with three strangers staring at me. I got to see the screen while he was doing his part, and it was cool to see my inards.:)

The radiologist talked to me for a minute after the HSG and explained the x-ray pictures, but I have to talk to the ob/gyn tomorrow or Wednesday for his take on what's next. So, below is a diagram of the final picture that I saw. The good news...I have a uterus and one open fallopian tube. The dreaded news...I have one fallopian tube that is not open and would not take in any dye, despite the radiologist's trying to insist (ouch!). After I got off the table and walked to the changing/bathroom as modestly as I could, it was all I could do not to burst out in tears. Who know what's next (well, God does...)?? For now I will console myself with birthday candy and pepperoni de-light pizza from Papa Murphey's. Oh yeah, and I might've redeemed my free Coldstone birthday coupon for a cake batter ice cream/brownie cup of delight.

A picture is worth 1,000 words:
Figure 1 is what I was hoping for. Figure 2 is what I got.

5 comments:

emily said...

Oh Adriane, I'm so sorry. I suppose it's good to know exactly what's wrong, but how frustrating. BUT, our God who raises the dead can overcome this!!

Lisa said...

I had this procedure done too...although I was under anesthesia...so I can't really compare stories...they did mine during my laparoscopy. And although the news wasn't exactly what you wanted to hear, it is great news that one of them is open!! I hope after talking to your Dr. you'll understand a little bit more and know what the next step should be. Is it your birthday??

Bobbinoggin said...

I pray that the OB will have news for you that will bring more positive light to this diagnosis.

Love you.

Adriane said...

Thanks for having faith, ladies, when mine is wearing thin. I know that I could be in a lot worse situation...something will work out. I'm talking to my doctor tomorrow.

Lisa--my bday was saturday:)

Lisa said...

Well HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY!!!!