Thursday, September 02, 2010

Good News...Now it's Just Timing...

First of all, I want to say that I DO realize that my blog entries are like a roller coaster. That's just the way my mind works these days (weeks, months, years...):)

Secondly, the reason for this post...and I'll try not to babble too much:

Remember back with me to April when I posted about the painful HSG test I had done to check my fallopian tubes, and the disappointing/maddening/useless follow-up appointment with the doctor I was referred to for future IUI treatments. I knew what the x-ray had shown--I'm not blind--and all I wanted to know was if there was any way to tell which ovary was ovulating, since pregnancy obviously won't happen if it's the ovary connected to my blocked tube. In very few words, he said, "no." He basically just told me that we'd set a number of times to try IUI (4-6) before pursuing IVF. So this whole time, I'm thinking that if only there was a way to tell which ovary was ovulating, so as not to waste a precious $600 if it wasn't the right one, that would solve a lot of potential problems!! Let me enter a side-note here: After this doctor (Dr.C) gets me pregnant, I'm going back to the other OB...

Nurse T is Dr.C's nurse. Conrad and I know her and her husband because they live in our small community, are members of the CU I work at, and her husband is the manager of a local business that Conrad does a lot of farm business with. She just got back to work yesterday from maternity leave. Last week, Conrad stopped by to talk to her husband, and she was there with their new baby. After business talk, they started talking about babies, etc. She told him to have me call her when she gets back to work because she knows of something else that we can do, in addition to our plans already. I called her yesterday, and she told me that they can do an ultrasound to find out if the open-fallopian-tubed ovary is the one ovulating. My first thought was the cost of that, on top of the $600 some-odd for the clomid/IUI/etc. She said her's ranged right around $200. Not bad! This gave me A LOT of peace, because then I know that we won't do the IUI if I'm not ovulating at all, or not ovulating from the open side.

Today, Nurse T left a message on my phone after talking to Dr.C, saying she found out that they could use an ultrasound machine they have right in the office, so it'd be even cheaper! I am thankful for Nurse T, and for her looking after my case, so to speak. I know it's her job, but I also feel like she's gone above and beyond. If only I liked the doctor she worked for! I would love to become closer with her and her husband--she's my age, and her husband's a few years older than Conrad. They aren't Christians, but they aren't LDS (a miracle in my small community!), so I think there's potential for a good relationship and also sharing God with their family.

If you would all just pray that I will have wisdom about timing and that mine and Conrad's schedules would work out to be able to pursue the IUI treatments, I'd appreciate it. I feel hopeful that something will *happen* in the near future, and I'm thankful for God's peace.

Also, the grain crops are coming in, and they are amazing! Conrad is such a great example of excellence in his farming, and I love and respect that about him!! The prices are also good, so we just need a continuation of good crops/good prices, and money will cease to be as big of an obstacle as we pursue pregnancy.

5 comments:

Bobbinoggin said...

we will *certainly* be praying for you!

also. as far as tracking timing... tcoyf.com lets you use their online software to track things. I've used it for Aiden's creation and continue to use it.

emily said...

I'm sorry, Adriane--I could have told you that, and the doctor should have mentioned it. That's fairly common to use ultrasound with IUI especially if Clomid is used to see how many follicles are maturing, or in your case, to find out if ovulation is pending or not. Sorry I didn't realize that's was one of your questions, 'cause I could have told you that!

Encouraging tho! There IS hope. Love you.

Adriane said...

yeah, em, not impressed with dr.c! i was thinking that every infertility blog i read had mentioned that, but figured poky wasn't up on things or something. i will be glad when i can get back to another doctor. thanks, ladies!

Rogers Family said...

Adriane, that's great news! I'll be praying for you guys!! Thanks for sharing your journey and being so transparent. The Lord is working something deep in you-you are such a strong woman of God :) Love you, Lindsay

ps...we're living on the outskirts of Boise now-in farm country and I think of you often as I drive by all the fields :)

Courtney said...

Just found your blog again...lost your email!! Oh my. I can't believe this. Yes you can definitely tell what side you are ovulating (although it will be different every month). There should always be ultrasounds before an IUI to see the size of the follicle and to trigger at the right time. I'm still very confused by why the dr would tell you differently??!!