Monday, June 19, 2006

life in the country...
so i'm still getting used to living in AF, i was telling julie last week that on tuesday night when i was taking the exit, i thought to myself--i'm getting used to it out here, and i like it out here. yeah, i have to do a little more planning to hang out with friends, wake up earlier to get to curves/work, and can't just go to walmart when i need to pick up something, but i do like my new home and my new town. when i went to the thrift store, the lady said, "hi honey, how are you," because she's seen me before. it's more personal. on friday my dad and i went hogwild in the flower department at fred meyer. i got some lilies, hydrangea(sp?), and some other cute flowers, and went to work planting them sat. morning after my walk. gardening is so peaceful. that was until i was on my hands and knees and a huge rodent ran out from underneath the house about a foot from my hand. i screamed, it stopped and looked at me with huge eyes. the rockchuck (maybe two words? maybe hyphenated?) and i scared each other almost to death. then it ran around the house and i followed it asking in my sweetest, don't bite my cankle rockchuck voice "what are you?" at this point, i was still to startled to think this animal was one of the rockchucks conrad and josh had been talking about hunting with guns. i'll have to admit it was cute. they're about kiki's size but with stubby legs and they waddle cuz they're fat. and, i think they are what's been eating my blooms. grrr. i saw a ton from there on out over the weekend. when conrad came home for lunch, we heard something at the top of the stairs to the cellar. conrad went to investigate, and i went, barefooted, down the stairs behind him, watching my step very carefully and making a mental note not to step in the pile of rockchuck crap on one stair. the animal stared at us as we stared at it, then we headed back up, as i was kinda scared of having bare feet in this area of the house. i got to the top of the stairs and into the dining room and noticed my foot wasn't moving as free as usual. oh, that's cuz i stepped in the pile of crap!! i screamed and conrad came to the rescue. i was grossed out. conrad called someone to get some poison. i went to pick it up and luckily before i bought it i asked how to use it. he said, "just light the fuse and put it in the whole." i said, "what if the holes are under/in our house?" he said, "mmmm...probably don't wanna use this." cool. so i don't know what we're going to do. i swear, i've had more wild varmit interactions in 3 months than in my whole life. the foxes have moved though, giving the rockchucks more room to grow their families... oh!! something cute... last night i went with conrad to move a wheel line and in the cover over the motor there's a robin's nest with 3 babies. they still have their eyes closed and just a tiny bit of fuzz. when we looked in, they opened their mouths and made little sounds. i'm going to try to take some pics. they were soooooo cute! well, i've babbled enough. i guess i just have a lot to say about my weekend, it was a good one... have a good week everyone!

3 comments:

Steph said...

You have so many different animal stories now. I was smiling at this one but then I laughed at hearing you scream about the cow crap. Ha ha

Bobbinoggin said...

wow. life is definitely not dull or boring for you, now is it!?!? you have verizon-to-verizon free calling right? cause i do. lemme know, and i'll call using my parents' phone.

Fawn said...

Your flowers are beautiful :)