Saturday, August 27, 2011

Harvest Time

"If you do the things you need to do when you need to do them, then someday you can do the things you want to do when you want to do them." ~Zig Ziglar

This quote is an important reminder to ME that the hard work the Conrad is putting in now, and hopefully the work I'm doing outside of the home, will not be in vain. We are doing things now to set ourselves up for the future. Sometimes it's hard to look that far into the future when you (I) want things now.

Harvest time should be a happy time, right? Don't get me wrong, I love riding in the combine with Conrad and watching the wheat heads fight to get past the header and be separated out into kernels, leaving the straw behind in hefty rows. I can brag on my man...he is an amazing farmer. His crops are excellent, and beautiful. However, because of our teetering on the financial edge of being able to hire a full-time guy to help out, Conrad works hard. Too hard. He realizes this too, that not only the physical labor, but the investment of mental and emotional stress, cannot be a lifestyle that lasts too many more years without taking a toll. But it's only for a season, I have to remind myself (and he reminds me).

Sometimes I want to fast-forward a few years ahead to when we're able to hire out some jobs, though I know these trying times are shaping our [debt-free] future, and contributing to our growth individually and as a couple. So, today, I'm reminded of why harvest is not always "happy"...when the stress comes due to lack of help, the machines don't work right, and family jealousy runs rampant (this last one could be a whole post in itself, though I'll spare you the misery).

Lord, I know you hold our future in Your hands. Let us trust you, and may Your wisdom shape our every decision. We don't depend on other people to control our destiny...You control it. Give us patience and grace as we ride out this season.

No comments: